Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 22 of the 30 day challenge

My favorite city

As I ponder this 22nd day of my 30 day challenge my mind goes only to small towns. I do not like cities. I do not like crowds, noise, pollution, fast pace and the hustle and bustle that comes with large cities. I get anxiety just thinking about it. My heart starts to race. The palms of my hands start to sweat. My mind does crazy things. I think it is just best I stay away from them in general. So, I guess that means I will not be blogging about cities.

I think I will blog about a small, little, quaint town that I love. Hmmmmm, let me think. Oh, I know, Circleville, Ohio. Sorry, I do love this little town that I live in. Where else can you go to see the "Greatest Free Show on Earth"?

Just look at the line of pumpkins right up to the pumpkin tower.
Can you go anywhere else to see a pumpkin pie this big?
The sights, the smells, the sounds. It all gets into your blood. The excitement becomes a part of you.

A little history of this wonderful little town:



Daniel Dresbach founded the community of Circleville along the Scioto River in 1810. The town received its name from circular earthworks that Hopewell Indians had constructed in the area, although urban development has destroyed many of those original mounds. Circleville became the county seat for Pickaway County in 1810, and the first courthouse was built in the middle of the circular earthworks for which the community was named.


Dresbach laid out Circleville in a circular pattern. During the 1830s, residents tired of the unusual street patterns. In 1837, the Ohio legislature authorized the Circleville Squaring Company to redesign the community with a more traditional grid pattern. The Circleville Squaring Company completed work in 1856. This marked one of the earlier examples of urban redevelopment in the United States. Most of the native earthworks disappeared as a result of this redevelopment.

OK. I am now finished with the history lesson. BTW, I copied it from a history website.
I love everything about this town. I love to shop in the downtown shops. I love the farm markets that surround this area during the season. I love the gossip. I'm only KIDDING. There are some down falls to the small town atmosphere also. Every body knows every body else's business. Too funny at times. I love it!!!

OK, one more thing. I also love the comfort that my small town brings to my soul!!!

Good night all!!!

Loves, hugs & kisses,

ML Brown

1 comment:

  1. I was very sad I didn't get to come home for pumpkin show this year! first year of my life not going

    ReplyDelete

Pink, green & Off White III

This is my final card for this months Unity Challenge. PINK, GREEN & OFF WHITE has now started to bore me. I am ready for the next cha...